Band of the Hills welcomes adult and student musicians of at least high school age. You are welcome to show up with your instrument ready to play at one of our regular rehearsals, meet members of the band, and converse with our conductor. There are no auditions. The only requirement is that you try your best, come prepared, and have fun. The band’s standards are high and music is selected, rehearsed, and performed with that in mind.
Do not worry if you have not played in a while. Band of the Hills is a great way to reignite your love of playing music! Many of our members have returned to playing after years away from their instruments. We never put individuals on the spot just because they have difficulty with the music. We believe the best incentive to learn comes from being challenged to keep up with those around you. We want to help you grow and improve as a musician.
Our concert season typically runs September through June. Rehearsals are on Thursday evenings starting at 7:15 and ending by 9:30 at Northpoint Church. Email Michial Meyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call him at 512-426-4270 so we can be prepared for you to attend. Members should make every effort to arrive at rehearsal in time to assemble their instruments, warm up, and tune up in time to begin playing at 7:15 sharp. Members are expected to attend as many rehearsals as possible. When a player knows they will not be able to attend a rehearsal, they should notify their section leader in advance.
As a new member, you may be asked to sit out an upcoming concert if that concert is scheduled close to your date of joining. This is not a judgment on your playing skill. We feel regardless of your skill, attendance to several rehearsals is required to ensure all members in the band perform well together and have absorbed the performance instructions given during rehearsals.
What To Expect At Your First Rehearsal
We look forward to seeing you. For your convenience, a summary of this information can be found in the New Member Checklist
- Meet your section leader: Your section leader will introduce you to members of your section and provide your music.
- Meet the treasurer: Sometime before or after rehearsal, you will meet the treasurer to discuss Band membership dues and concert apparel.
- We play a brief warm up together as a group (typically the B♭ scale).
- We rehearse several pieces in an evening (upwards of ~7). You don’t have to play every note! Play as you are comfortable. We never put individuals on the spot just because they have difficulty with the music.
- There is a brief intermission around 8:30 for Announcements and water/bathroom breaks. Rehearsal finishes around 9:30.
- We greatly appreciate volunteers before and after rehearsal to help rearrange chairs and load/unload the percussion trailer.
What Should You Bring?
- Instrument & Music Folder
- Music Stand
- Instrument Stand (optional)
- Sheet Music Page Clips & Stand Light (optional)
- Water Bottle
Member dues per year are as follows:
- $35 for adults
- $17.50 for students
Family discount: Full dues for first member, half dues for each additional family member. Please see Member Info for details on how to pay.
You will also need to buy a BOTH Shirt for ~ $20 – $23 to wear at concert performances.
Rehearsals are Thursday evenings 7:15 PM – 9:30 PM in Northpoint Church located at 1320 Arrow Point Dr Ste. 201 in Cedar Park. The doors are opened at 6:30 and the front door will be locked at 7:12. The back door remains open throughout the whole rehearsal.